Wednesday 12 October 2011

Angela's Favourite

                                              Mean Song
                                              By Eve Merriam

Snickles and podes,
Ribble and grodes:
That’s what I wish you.
A nox in the groot,
A root in the stoot
And a gock in the forbeshaw, too.

Keep out of sight
For fear that I might
Glom you a gravely snave.

Don’t show your face
Around any place
       Or you’ll get one flack snack in the bave.



Although this poem and many others of Eve Merriam have faced controversy, or have been banned in schools, I think it is important to investigate why.  Mean Song seems to be linked to the saying: ‘Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.’  I think investigating this poem through the Tell Me approach, and then discussing the above saying will prove some interesting results.  This poem lends itself to discussions on rhyme scheme and pattern, on onomatopoeia, and the power of words, sounds and the feelings they invoke.  To me, this is the easiest segue into a discussion about bullying, reactions to bullying, and respect.  It also begs the question of perspective – who is the narrator of this poem: the bully or the victim?
I would have students compose their own poems about their own issue with bullying (or what they have witnessed) using some nonsense words (so they can make it rhyme) and have Merriam’s poem as a starting structure.  I would also have students create a picture or a play based on their poems to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment